The Rhys Evans story.
In 1909 in Ballina, Ireland, Rhys Evans was born. He was educated in Pina Cardiff before joining a bank as a young clerk. Soon after, Rhys and his brother Glynn migrated to Australia in 1927 and got a job as a farm hand on the outskirts of Port Fairy. It was not long after, around 1940, that Rhys was milking cows on his own farm at Toolong.
In 1948 the farm was sold and Rhys moved into the township of Port Fairy where he became a Herd Tester. In 1950 Mr Fred Hartington, the Crown Dahlia Separator Salesman, passed away and Rhys was offered the job in Colac to replace him. Not long after this opportunity, the company became Alfa Laval in 1951 and Rhys was offered a franchise to sell their products and on Thursdays, Rhys had a small area in the Central Mart where he would offer his services. At this point, Rhys was able to purchase a house in Manifold Street for $3,000 enabling his family to move from Port Fairy to join him in Colac.
It was in 1953 when Rhys took over a shop from Jim Doyle where the Union Club Hotel is currently situated. By 1956, Rhys' business had outgrown the shop space and resorted to renting a shop at 27 Murray Street and then by 1960 Rhys took over 29 Murray Street. Up until this point, most of his sales were separators and small milking machines as most farmers then supplied cream to the factories, raised pigs and fed them whey and crushed barley.